Thursday, April 11, 2013

Summary of our China visit!

Here is a summary of my experience...

It has been two days since we have arrived back home from China. I write this post in the fog of some jet lag. Our experience with our hosts in China was wonderful. Hebei International School provided us with experiences that my students and I will cherish for a life time. When we first arrived all of us were struck by a country that is rapidly changing. There are cranes every where that add dust to an already dusty environment. We arrived in a new air port and took a bullet train to a brand new station with 32 platforms. China is a very forward planning country to meet the needs of 1.4 billion people. This is almost 5 times the size of the United States. One of the highlights for me was to visit the planning pavilion where we were able to see the city plan for the city of Shijiazhuang.

The people of China are what continually draws me back to this culture. They are both kind and hospitable. My students and I felt like movie stars. We were constantly eating out and asked for photo opportunities. If any of my students had a low self esteem I think a healthy dose of China for two weeks is likely to cure them. In addition, we all have probably gained a little weight from the amazing food. Our group responded well to this hospitality. I think this is the best group of students I have taken on an international trip. Everywhere I went I received compliments about them. In short, our host families and the school administration overwhelmed us with warmth and generosity. We have seen the great wall and experienced the great hearts of these people. We have made friendships that will last a life time. :) Our two schools will continue to work together to help our students achieve their highest potential. I am reminded of the song that we learned in music class one day on our trip. "Come together, put your hand in mine, you and me from one world, we are family." xin lian xin  永遠一家人。

You can read more about our Chinese Experience on our BLOG. Please check it out and make a comment. There is a translator built into this web site for the benefit of our Mandarin pen pals.

No comments: